You know what I’m obsessed with lately?
Heirloom tomato salads.
It’s the perfect time of year for them because the tomatoes are so juicy and flavorful right now! To really amp things up, this version has some late summer peaches in the mix as well, plus flavorful herbs, creamy mozzarella, and a bright vinaigrette to tie it all together.
This fresh and colorful salad makes a gorgeous side dish, or make it a full meal with crusty bread and some protein on top!
Making this salad is easy as can be. Here’s what you’re working with:
Simply chop your tomatoes and peaches, then arrange them on a platter or toss them in a bowl with your basil, sliced fresh mozzarella, and optional shallots or red onions.
To make the dressing, stir together some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and a little salt and pepper et voila! You are ready to eat.
If you’d like to make this a full meal, simply add some protein, like I mentioned; grilled chicken or salmon pair beautifully with this dish. It’s also great with crusty bread on the side, or you can turn it into a grain salad bowl by throwing some barley or farro on top.
I hope this recipe will inspire you to enjoy some end of summer produce! I’m heading to the beach this weekend with friends for one last summer hurrah and you better believe I’ll be stopping at a farm stand on the way back for some end of summer peaches and tomatoes. My fave!
Here’s the full recipe – let me know how you liked it in the comments, or by tagging me @fANNEtasticfood on social media!
- About 2 lb heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2-3 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallot and/or red onion
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
1. Arrange the tomatoes, peaches, shallots, mozzarella, and basil on a large platter or toss together in a bowl.
2. In a separate smaller bowl, stir together the olive…